Monday, January 22, 2007

This Class

Well it's the start of week number 2 in the semester and it's time to start getting into this blogging thing. Picklesimer asked us to talk about the first week of our class, and so I thought I would go to the course catalog and start off with a description of the course:

The Human Situation III: The Physical World. Issues of nature, physical science, health, technology, ecology and mathematics. Course content varies.

If only the designers of the catalog knew how much we were really going to cover in our class. I wish it were more possible to explain the contents of this class to future honors students, but they'll have to make do with the above description, at least for now.

I really like the setup of the class. We've got a fairly diverse group of people covering about every field of study on campus. Eventually I'll get around to putting their links over here on the right sidebar, but I don't have them yet, so you'll have to be patient. Also, I'm really glad we don't have desks in the class. It makes me feel a little vulnerable without something there, and I'd feel better knowing the others feel that way too, but we'll see :)

I'm looking forward to some of the topics in the class. The ones on technology fascinate me the most. I've been a techno-geek for as long as I can remember, and working for dormnet and having other geeks around me just fuels my desire to have cool gadgets and talk nerdy. I'm also looking forward to the sections on Christian ethics. I've never had a class that's willing to talk about ethics. As a Bible major, i've had the obligitory classes that talk about how to conduct yourself as a minister and situations surrounding ministry, but never anything that talks about our views on certain subjects through the lens of Christianity.

I wasn't going to do this, but I wanted to post this question that was suggested to us to post about:
  • Which is more important: the destination or the journey? Can the destination be the journey?
I'm not going to answer now, and I may come back and answer it in a later post. For now, I will say that I am looking forward to the journey through this class and no matter where the destination is, I feel that we won't be able to come through this class unchanged.

1 comment:

Allen said...

First!

I will refrain from deep comments so that you are unbiased by the opinions of your roommate and still capable of having original thought.

Sorry, I'll keep the cynicism and sarcasm to another blog...